The highlight of the Cowboy Up weekend for most is the Saturday trail ride through the Sheyenne National Grasslands surrounding McLeod, ND. Many riders have made the 3rd weekend in August an annual long weekend and mini vacation to meet up with friends and family, camping out, riding the hills, enjoying some great food, music, dancing, and all that McLeod and Cowboy Up has to offer.
We encourage riders to pre-register for the trail ride. Not only does a pre-registration get you a special colored t-shirt, but it speeds up the registration process when you get to town.
Here are some of the most FAQ we get about the weekend in McLeod
- Primitive camping is available on a 1st come basis
- The camping pastures are opened up by local families in McLeod. Please be respectful of their property so we can use them again next year.
- You are responsible for your own temporary fencing for your livestock
- Certified hay is not required as camping is on private property
- Water troughs will be located in each camping area
- All riders under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Just as a friendly reminder we are guests in the community of McLeod not just in the camping areas, but when participating in events in town, or out riding through the Sandhills.